I whipped up a quick lunch today with little to nothing in my fridge or cupboards. What transpired was magic! I couldn’t be selfish and keep this easy, no-fuss, healthy & layered quick lunch all to myself, now could I?? Here you go…
This one-skillet meal took me literally 10 minutes to create, and half that time to devour! I love the kick of red chili and the salty bursts of the warmed capers. Lemon juice throughout and on top make it bright and lovely. I think a cold version of this would be nice too!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 shallots
- 2 tomatoes
- 1.5 cups cooked black lentils
- 1 can of tuna in water or oil, your choice.
- 1½ tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 1 large handful fresh arugula
- salt & pepper
- olive oil to finish
- Heat the canola oil, dice the shallots and add to warm oil. Let the shallots soften a bit and then add your chopped tomatoes, the capers, and the chili flakes. Warm through over medium heat, shaking the pan and tossing often. Add tuna, breaking it up as you stir. Now, add the balsamic and lemon juice, saving some of the juice to finish with. Place the arugula on top of the mix and let it wilt, then stir in gently to combine.
- Plate into a bowl and finish with salt and pepper to taste, a glug of olive oil and some nice roughly- chopped parsley- if you're lucky to have some...I did not but it would have been lovely!