For a taste of something lighter, I decided to alter the typical turkey burger. Lean and healthy, this is the perfect summer meal. It’s fresh and bright, packed with protein and low on carbs. AKA – the ideal poolside BBQ alternative for bikini season!
I like to gather all of my ingredients together before hand. This makes cooking easier, plus, it’s just pretty to look at. A dash of paprika over the tops of the uncooked burgers gives them a lovely, warm hue after cooking. It’s also a nod to my Hungarian heritage, so I sneak paprika in anywhere I can. My herby yogurt sauce, drippy with olive oil, fresh with cilantro, and bright & tangy with fresh lime zest & juice.
- 1 pkg lean ground turkey breast
- ½ medium white onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- ½ uncooked oats
- ½ tsp paprika
- sea salt
- 1 c organic, plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ c cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- zest & juice of one lime
- 1 avacado, sliced lengthwise
- 4 Indian small naan flat breads (or whole wheat pita bread if you can't find naan)
- 1 carton of micro-greens (you can use arugula here if micro greens are unavailable)
- Turkey Burgers- with turkey close to room temperature, mix the egg, onion, oats and a dash of salt & pepper together (using your hands is best for this.) Form into good-size patties and set on a baking sheet. Sprinkle the paprika over the formed patties. Grill over medium-high heat until firm and cooked through. Set aside to rest. Grill your naan or pita bread until warmed and lines begin to appear.
- For Yogurt Sauce- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, cilantro, olive oil, zest & juice of the lime and whisk until well incorporated. Salt & pepper to taste, (it should be quite limey.) I like to drizzle a bit more olive oil and some fresh cracked pepper over the top for presentation.
- Plating- Lay a pita bread down and top with one burger, add the sliced avocado to the top. Next, drizzle with a generous amount of the yogurt sauce. Place a small handful of the micro-greens over the avocado slices and add a bit more sauce if you like. Serve with lime slices & enjoy while it's warm!