Pizzas on the grill happen to be one of my specialties. I am always thinking of new variations to try. On this night, I wanted to treat my very best girlfriend to a very special girlie night. I opened a bottle of 2005 Chateau Haut-Brion, which was a gift from another very special lady in my life – my boss. Thank you, Robin McGraw for making our girls’ night one to remember with this amazing gift!! A VERY lovely bottle of vino called for very lovely company and a very beautiful pizza…
I begin by cooking one side of the pizza dough until golden brown. Then, I carefully flip it over and the fun part begins. I layer on my toppings, starting with the dill cashew cream, while watching the underside cook so it doesn’t burn. It’s a tricky timing-game, but after a few trial runs.. you’ll get the hang of it and the obsession with it!
Next, I layer the chunks of salmon just right so the beautiful pink color peaks through the bright green arugula leaves. Creating a pie made in heaven.
I can get a bit lost in the dressing of a pizza, placing the dill sprigs and the flowers just right so that everybody gets their moment.
Rooney’s not having it. “Just give me salmon mom”.
One thing I love more than cooking outside? My bestie, Kelly. She’s the BEST thing ever.
Because wine and cooking are two things that should always mix.
Without further adieu, I give you: Grilled Salmon Pizza
Cheers to best friends. Cheers to not saving and holding onto things but sharing them with the people you love, enjoying a gift with gratitude, enjoying the moment, the times with those who matter most and…girlfriends.
Girls’ night gone….right!
- one package of store-bought pizza dough
- 1 salmon filet (about a serving size for two people)
- 1 bunch of edible flowers (sold at the farmers market of Wholefoods)
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 2 cups arugula tossed in lemon juice and a dash of olive oil & pinch of salt
- olive oil
- non-stick cooking spray for the grill
- 2-3 tablespoons flour
- For Cashew Sauce:
- 2 cups raw cashews (soaked in water for at least an hour, overnight is best)
- ⅓ cup water
- juice of two small Meyer lemons (regular will do too)
- 1 clove garlic
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons dill stems
- Begin by unwrapping the pizza dough and setting on a floured board, bringing it to room temp.
- Meanwhile, in a Vitamix or food processor, whizz up all the ingredients for the cashew sauce. Test the consistency, which should be thick enough to spread and not so loose that it will run off the dough. Adjust to taste with extra lemon juice, salt or dill.
- Bring your salmon filet to room temp and dress with a bit of olive oil and salt. Heat your grill top to medium/high, spray with non-stick cooking spray, and toss your salmon onto the grill. About 5 minutes per side should do - unless it's really thick. Then you will want to close the grill top and cook longer. When done to your liking, remove to a plate and break up into chunks. Now, you will want to have all of your pizza toppings gathered onto a tray and set right by your grill because the cooking goes fast and you don't want to burn the crust!
- Once the dough is to room temperature, gently form into a round shape or a rectangle (which I find works best when using a BBQ grill). Turn the grill top to low and spray again with the non-stick cooking spray. Carefully lift the dough and place directly on top of the grill grate. It will only take 4-5 minutes before the dough begins to brown on the bottom side. Once it's nicely cooked with golden brown markings, turn it over! You may need an extra set of hands here or one of those giant pizza spatulas. Now it's time to get your toppings on quickly. Layer by layer, I start with the cashew sauce, add some arugula and your salmon. The crust will start to brown on the bottom and when it's brown, gently transfer the pizza off of the grill and onto a cutting board or pizza stone (here's where that pizza spatula comes in handy again!) Lastly, add the final touches by placing the flowers and the sprigs of dill about the pizza and finish with a drizzle of olive oil. Serve Immediately for best results and biggest smiles 🙂