Our girlfriend Cat is back! This time with a wonderful coconut chicken curry recipe that she originally developed for her restaurant menu at Stamp Proper Foods. I happened to one of her first taste-testers. I dream about this dish.
Cat has made this dish with cauliflower rice in the past which is actually so light and fluffy, I prefer it to rice! Plus, the health benefits are greater. This time around, she shows me how to make the BEST quinoa I’ve ever had. FORGET quinoa packets with boring water…that’s so last year. Now, instead of water, it’s made with coconut milk, raw honey and sea salt. The grains turn out creamy and rich but still light enough for me to eat a whole bowl.
The quinoa also give this curry dish a real base. It’s hearty, delicious AND healthy!
Cat has a knack for making everything effortless. She peruses the flea markets on Sundays with ease while I am left deliberating and in knots over whether this vase is a good find or will I just want to throw it away next month…?? She has a style that’s her own. It’s easy with Cat. It’s a slow burn and everything is in stride. Plus, who else can pull off vintage overalls like this girl??
Getting down to business now, chicken browning. Can we say we LOVE Scanpan?
Vintage treasures pepper Cat & David’s home. They started business together last year, bought a home, sold a home, completed an entire remodel AND just got married a few months ago. Bravo for taking on life and not holding back. Now, go on a vacation will you!?!
- COCONUT CURRY CHICKEN
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 pound chicken tenders cut into cubes
- ⅔ cup veganiase
- 1 can light coconut milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ rsp pepper
- Juice of half lemon
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 head of broccoli cut into bite-size pieces
- ⅓ cup raisins
- ⅓ cup toasted slivered almonds
- ¼ cup dried unsweetened coconut flakes
- COCONUT QUINOA RICE
- 1 cup rinsed uncooked quinoa
- 1 can light coconut milk
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp raw honey
- Bring quinoa, coconut milk, water, salt, & honey to a boil stirring and mixing well. Then, reduce to a simmer until quinoa is cooked, about 15-20 minutes. Fluff.
- Meanwhile, add coconut oil and chicken to a large pan. Brown chicken on both sides. In a bowl, stir together veganaise, coconut milk, salt, peper, lemon and curry, mixing well.
- When chicken is browned, pour curry mixture into sauce pan over the chicken and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes. After 15 min, stir in broccoli and raisins. Simmer for another 5 minutes until broccoli is steamed and nicely bright green. When finished, place coconut curry chicken on top of quinoa, sprinkle with almonds and coconut flakes. Voila!